“Portmanteau Words” made a reappearance as a category on Jeopardy last week, and I was ready (see previous post on this topic). Here were the questions:
• What is cellophane? (cellulose + diaphane)
• What is breathalyzer? (breath + analyzer)
• What is telethon? (telephone + marathon)
• What is gerrymandering? (Gerry + salamander)
• What are the Muppets? (marionette + puppet)
Most of these are self-explanatory, but gerrymandering needs a little further explanation.
Not to brag, but I ran the category. Too bad I wasn’t playing for real money.